Named for Jazz Singer, Dinah Washington, WordPress 4.1 was released today and brings with it a number of features focused specifically on the writing experience.
All ESC! Technologies Group clients who subscribe to one of our WordPress Maintenance plans will be updated to the latest release as soon as testing is complete — there is nothing you need to do at this point.
So what’s new in WordPress 4.1?
It can be difficult to focus on your latest post with so many distractions popping up on screen. WordPress 4.1 now offers a “distraction free” full screen writing experience that allows you to tune out the rest of the WordPress administration interface and concentrate on the task ahead of you.
Even better, combine this with an app’s full screen mode on your Mac or PC and your distractions will simply fade from view. But don’t worry, a quick flick of the cursor to the side of your screen, and all the editing tools come right back. Slick!
WordPress 4.0 made it easier to embed your videos and other media directly within your posts. WordPress 4.1 makes it just as easy to embed your videos from Vine.
Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Ja! Or, at least WordPress does!
WordPress 4.1 makes it super easy to change the interface to one of over forty languages! Just visit your General Settings page to select your language of preference.
Log Out “Remotely”
Ever pop on to a colleague’s computer (or worse a public computer at the library) to do a quick update on your site … and then realize when you got back to the office that you left your account logged in?
WordPress 4.1 allows you to Log Out all open sessions remotely.
Simply go to Users > Your Profile and click the button labeled, Log Out of All Other Sessions.
Not To Mention
- A new blog-focused default theme, Twenty Fifteen.
- Suggested plugins (use with caution).
- Advanced conditional logic is now supported in Metadata, date, and term queries.
- Panels and sections of the Customizer may now be shown conditionally based on the page being previewed.
- And More…
Updating Your Site
If you’re not subscribed to one of ESC! Technologies Group’s WordPress Maintenance plans, then before upgrading you’ll want to be sure to:
1. Ensure compatibility with and/or Upgrade all your third party plugins
2. Ensure compatibility with your theme and framework and upgrade if necessary
3. Turn off any caching plugins you may have installed
4. Perform a full backup of your site and database
6. After the upgrade is complete, re-enable your caching plugins and test your site
Enjoy the new WordPress!